Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Finale, finally

Just about the time I was turning off my alarm and stumbling bleary-eyed into the bathroom this morning, polls up and down the East Coast were opening to lines of voters anxious to cast their ballots before work. In fact, several states like Virginia opened at 6:00 AM to early-bird voters, and the Washington Post shows long lines already forming outside many polling stations around the DC Metro area. It’s the beginning of the end—not the end of the world, but the end of a long and grueling election season.

It has been fascinating to be here in Washington during the campaign. Listening to the people who live and work here, you would think that George W. Bush was certain to be removed from office. Public sentiment here is strongly against him. Just this morning I heard one of the more conservative gentlemen from my office remark to a coworker that he was willing to do anything “just to get that son of a b___ out of office.” Other colleagues work with political action committees that are actively campaigning for John Kerry. One of them has actually put ads on the air in some states. They gape in horror when I say I really don’t like John Kerry. I’m quick to point out, however, that I’m not really a huge Bush fan either. Sometimes politics is a process of choosing the lesser of two evils. But politics is the game that makes this city tick, so it is interesting to watch things in full swing. I think it’s good to meet and talk with people of other opinions. It’s broadened my understanding of a lot of issues, and actually strengthened some of my positions on a few points.

A few weeks ago I was sick of all the election hullabaloo. It was a constant, throbbing background to everything I did. Now that the campaign is coming to a close, I’m a little more interested in it. I’m convinced that we haven’t heard the end of it; there are thousands of lawyers poised ready to strike as soon as the results come in. No matter who wins, it will be ugly. But no matter who wins, I have full faith that the democratic process will continue. Do I want one particular candidate to win? Yes, I guess I do, especially considering the implications for future Supreme Court nominations. But if he doesn’t win, life goes on.


The other day The Redhead and I were talking about the election, and she made the comment that without California, the Democrats wouldn’t have a chance. I countered with the fact that without the South or the Mountain West, the Republicans wouldn’t have a chance. It amazes me how very close this election will be. Last week Charlie Cook (of the Cook Political Report) said in an address that you have a better chance of buying a Powerball ticket and winning than accurately predicting the outcome of the election today. The NY Times’ Election Guide shows that it will all come down to Ohio, Wisconsin, Florida, and Iowa. But about 10 other states could really go either way, so maybe it’s even more unpredictable than that. My election predictions, however, are very reliable. I predict there will be a lot of talk and a lot of hot air blown around. I predict there will be an army of lawyers from both sides arguing about the issue for some time. I predict there will be a lot of sore losers, but that in the end, we’ll still be in the same place doing the same jobs and having the same arguments. The political pundits may not be able to call the election, but I know my predictions will come true.

1 Comments:

At 10:54 AM, Blogger erin said...

No kidding. I woke up this morning wondering when I was going to have a chance to vote, since I have a soccer game tonight. I'm going to try and leave work early. But really, let's get the election over with. Maybe someday we'll be able to wake up on November 3rd and know who is in charge of the country.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home