Thursday, December 02, 2004

All we like sheep

A year ago this month I got married. It was simultaneously hectic and wonderful. Like any important life event, it had its share of crises. For example, my family’s van broke down on Christmas day as we were driving to The Redhead’s neck of the woods. Life never lets things happen too easily. But after all was said and done, most things didn’t really change. We were still two poor young college students and we still had to return to real life and work and school. I think 23 is a very young age to get married, but we both knew it was the right thing to do so we took the plunge.

An article by the Associated Press this week called this to mind when it reported on recent findings by the Census Bureau about marriage in America. They reported that in 1970 the average woman was 20.8 years old when she got married and the average man was 23.2 years old. The figures for 2003 show that women now wait until they are an average of 25.3 years old and men wait until they are 27.1 years old. According to those numbers, I shouldn’t be married for another couple years. A separate study was done among people ages 20 to 24, finding what percentage had never been married. In 1970 it was 36% for women and 55% for men. Last year it was 75% for women and 86% for men. So as young Americans approach the proverbial “menace to society” point, the overwhelming majority of them still aren’t married. I find this to be a fascinating statistic.

When I got engaged I told several old friends the “good news.” They nodded politely and gave their congratulations but the look in their eyes and the tone in their voices clearly said, “Are you crazy? You’re not even out of your undergrad yet!” One or two of them were even so forthcoming as to voice their concerns. “Are you serious?” they asked. I assured them that I was indeed telling the truth. “Wow,” they said, “you’re brave.” They have always been supportive but skeptical of many of my life decisions, such as being a missionary for 2 years. They can tell it is something important to me, but they just don’t quite get it. Ultimately, they were very happy for me, but I could tell they were glad it was me getting married and not them.

Contrast that with every other Institute lesson, fireside, or talk from your bishopric in your singles’ ward, and you get a very confusing set of mixed messages. I think I can kind of understand why Church leaders hammer this point home so hard—if they don’t speak up and encourage people to get married, then people will probably listen to the world and keep putting it off in lieu of schooling or professions. However, it still bugs me sometimes how much we hear about marriage. When I was single it got to the point where I would whip out my Palm and start reading a book as soon as a speaker started delving into the trite marriage rhetoric. Heck, I am married and I get tired of it sometimes. But despite the sometimes-tactless delivery, I know that the Church leaders are more right than what society is telling us.

For me, getting married involved taking back a lot of nasty things I said about getting hitched. My freshman year I heard so many talks on the subject that my roommate and I banned the use of the “M” word from our dorm room. I swore I’d be 40 by the time I found someone with enough patience to put up with me for eternity. But just a few years later I found myself eating my own words as I met The Redhead. She helped me change my mind, using her Redhead Powers, so I’ve been taking all those things back every since. It still pains me a little to have fallen into the cliché, but my nonconformity urge wasn’t enough to keep me from taking the plunge.

I think conformity actually has a lot to do with it. Many of my friends probably see my choices as blindly following Church dogma like a stupid sheep. In their eyes, I went on a mission because I was supposed to, and I got hitched early because I was supposed to, and they’re probably expecting me to start having lots of kids immediately because I’m supposed to. (I’m sure that’ll come soon enough, but they’ll be sorely disappointed on that last one.) I see it as very ironic, because in reality it is they who are the blind followers. I did all that stuff because I truly wanted to; in fact, in some cases the pressure to do those things made me less inclined to do them. But my friends have all bought into society’s view of things. They wouldn’t think about getting married and having a family until they were done with their education, secure financially, with a good job and a home. Shoot, by the time I have all that I won’t even be able to have kids. As the AP article indicated, more and more people in America are buying into the notion that education and career come first, with marriage and family as an optional and inferior goal. Who’s the slave to conformity now?

6 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Blogger Novel Concept said...

I think you make an excellent point. A few years ago my Aunt and Uncle from DC who aren't members came to dinner at our house. My Uncle lives at home and fixes things around the house, and my Aunt is the one who goes out and works. She asked me about what I wanted to be when I grew up, and where I wanted to go to college. I barely even mentioned the fact that I was thinking about being a teacher and she started to go off all about how I was a smart girl, and how I didn't need to do that, because I could make a lot more money elsewhere. I then told her that I eventually hoped to stay home and raise a family someday and she was absolutely disgusted that I would consider getting rid of a career for something as trivial as a family.

I think that we, as a society, are often far too reactionary, in that once we've been in a set pattern for a while, we don't really gravitate towards a middle ground, but towards the complete opposite. When rock and roll first came out it was revolutionary, and a lot of the teen culture gravitated towards it purely for its rebellious affect. Maybe it's because of our history as Americans that we try to go towards the opposite: Monarchy to Republic, Religious Persecution in Europe to Freedom of Religion as part of our government...(wow, I'm getting pretty carried away...yes, I am a history major...:)

Hopefully we won't have to go too far to the extreme before people realize that once you choose to do something purely for the sake of being different you lose all originality. Guess sometimes we act a lot like the saying: "I am unique, just like everybody else."

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Benvolio said...

Excellent points, Novel. You hereby receive a place in my "Links" column for your commentary and your recent quality postings. As a blog writer, this is one of the highest honors I can bestow upon you, 'cuz I don't have anything else to give.

 
At 1:42 AM, Blogger Novel Concept said...

Wow! This is incredibly exciting. Especially since people actually read your blog. I'll keep working on that quality thing. :D

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Benvolio said...

I didn't really mean it as a slam on your quality of writing; I just meant that I thought your last two posts were high-quality pieces of distraction while I was at work. Sorry if that came off wrong. I have gotten rather attached to your blog, moreso than most of the other newbies. I think it was only the pink that kept me from linking to it earlier. Holy cow, my eyes throb just thinking of it.

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Trueblat said...

Yeah, the pink was really hard on my eyes at first, so much that it took me three tries before I could actually read Novel Concepts' blog. It had absolutely nothing to do with what she wrote, just the color was too much for me. I'm used to it now.

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Novel Concept said...

Hmmm...that's funny, I heard salmon is supposed to be soothing...:D Very well, I shall look into a new template for my blog, since you guys aren't the only one's who've said something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home