Tuesday, January 04, 2005

First day

The first day of class is always an adventure. I’m always looking at my palm or my notebook to see where the heck I’m going in ten minutes. And somehow I always see more people that I know during the first week of class than the rest of the semester combined. I saw Latro, Saurus, Novel Concept, and Ambrosia today, all within about an hour of each other. I spent some of the day doing some errands, which was largely a hopeless cause because everyone I went to was either a) not very bright, or b) helpless because their computer wouldn’t work due to everyone logging on to find out when their classes were starting. (Yeah, I was one of those. Oops.) I don’t blame the people who couldn’t access my records due to computer problems, but the geniuses in the Transfer Office took 20 minutes just to tell me that they didn’t know how to help me and that maybe when someone else gets back later this week I can go to them. Well, gee, that’s helpful. Thanks for supplying me with zero information that I didn’t already know.

I also started work this week. I know several of the people there, but it’s always an interesting experience to start fitting into a work place. It’s even stranger because they’ve all been working together for a semester now and I’m “the new guy.” (I might explain a little better sometime where I work, but I won’t bother now.) I spent 4 ½ hours reading boring manuals and editing various course materials today, which I hope is not representative of what I will be doing every day there.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, we have an huge mess of boxes and stuff in our new apartment. Phoenix, Novel Concept, and Uffish Thought helped us haul a bunch of stuff from our storage unit over to our new pad. I never thought of the Board as a service organization, but that’s what it’s turned into in many cases. I find it immensely ironic that we’re actually doing a decent job at fulfilling part of the BYUSA mission by serving others. Who knew? So we have an absolute disaster area on our hands now, and we can’t seem to get federal funding for relief efforts because it’s all going to the tsunami victims. Talk about bad timing. So The Redhead and I are digging ourselves out, bit by bit, and although it’s slow, it’s a fun process sometimes. I keep looking in boxes and finding things I really missed. The bad part is that when I find something, like my old N64, I feel obligated to go try it out and see if it works, thus wasting several precious and potentially productive hours. Hmm, come to think of it, that’s what this blog is for too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home