Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Heart attack

When I declared my major about 2 ½ years ago, my advisor told me that I could use some of my AP credit from high school towards elective credit for the major. I was rather pleased, since it would allow me to graduate sooner. It also fit well with my semester in Washington, D.C. I was pleased that I was able to graduate in 4 years even though I didn’t declare my major until I was almost a junior. So while I was in D.C. I applied for graduation in April and received a graduation report saying I would still be deficient for 6 credits of electives. My advisor had made it seem like my credit counted automatically, so I had given it little thought for more than a year. But since I apparently had to take care of it myself, I decided to do it when I got back to Provo. So the first day of classes I walked into my advisement office and explained my situation and asked them what I needed to do. Because it was the first day of classes, however, they couldn’t even pull up my reports because the system was bogged down my students looking up their class schedules. So they sent me over to the Transfer Office, which was essentially a waste of time since they had no clue as to what I was talking about or even who could help me. So I finally got in contact with the professor who could help me, and I sent him an e-mail explaining what I needed and asked when I could have him sign my form. He e-mailed me back and we set a time to meet, but he said that he didn’t think I could get the credit I wanted needed to graduate. This was rather worrisome, especially since today is the last day for adding and dropping classes. So I couldn’t sleep most of last night because I was worried that I wasn’t going to be able to graduate, or I would at least have to cram several difficult classes into my schedule and that would just ruin my semester.

So this morning I went to this professor’s office and showed him the form and explained it all out, and he shook his head and said, “No, you can only receive credit for two 100-level classes, and you already took those.” I told him my advisor had told me that I could have my credit count for those classes or for electives, and I chose electives. He replied that my advisor was wrong, and that I would have to take add 6 more credits of electives to my schedule in order to graduate in April. Well, this didn’t exactly make my day. In fact, it was a really rotten way to start the week off and I practically had a heart attack. Finally he said, “Well, let’s look at your ABC report.” So he pulled it up and he said, “Oh, you’re on the old program. I guess it does work that way.” I went from the depths of sorrow to complete elation to barely restraining myself from throttling the guy for making me think I was screwed. Gee, you think that if someone is about to graduate they maybe entered the program more than a year ago? Good job, genius. I’m actually not mad at all, I’m just glad I can graduate. I have to go talk to my minor office later this week, too. I hope they don’t pull a similar trick on me; I don’t know if my heart could take it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home