Wednesday, January 12, 2005

That's unfortunate

I can’t help but laugh at my clever little title for this ever-so-brief entry. It cracks me up. It stems from an incident in which Mynamyn and Duchess were taking HEPE together, way back in the day, and they ran across a picture in their textbook of a man who had elephantitis of the testicles. Myn’s response was, “Ohhhhhh. . . that’s unfortunate.” Haha, it still makes me laugh. The guy apparently had to carry himself around in a wheelbarrow. I’m kind of glad I wasn’t there at the time, though. That can’t be a pretty sight.

Anyway, today’s unfortunate incident stems from a gentleman I was doing some business with at work. His name was Richard Cox, but he went by Dick. Now that is an unfortunate name. I won’t even elucidate all the ways that name could be made fun of, but suffice it to say that it’s one of the most unfortunate names I’ve ever run across. What were those parents thinking when they named Poor Richard? They must have known to what grade-school horrors it would rendered him vulnerable.

My name also opened me to easy and frequent ridicule, although most of it wasn’t of the same nature as Dick Cox. No, I’m not talking about Benvolio, I’m talking about my real name. Although if my real name was Benvolio I’d probably get made fun of more. Little kids are so cruel. I’d probably go by Ben.

5 Comments:

At 3:19 PM, Blogger Christie C said...

Bummer--I guess they must have changed the textbook right before I took HEPE, because I -know- I would have remembered that kind of picture.

I'll never name any of my kids Richard.

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger erin said...

Unfortunately I do not remember that. The only memories I have of HEPE are sitting in the lecture room in the RB falling asleep, trying to get credit for running before the last day of class, and sitting in the northeast library study room on the fifth floor ripping out pages of the manual and turning them into paper airplanes to throw at Mynamyn. And we were eating candy too. We bought candy with our dining plus money and smuggled it in. They were sour patch kids, I think. Yeah, I said it. I'll admit it. I'm sorry. Just about as sorry as I was when I brought food into the library to eat during work in Man/Ec's little office because I had to work for many hours... Ok sorry for my tangent. It was fun. :) (For the record, Latro eats in the library sometimes so I really don't feel too horrible about the entire thing.)

 
At 5:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I had forgotten about that picture until just now. Now it has revealed itself once again (now that is unfortunate). Thanks.

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

That picture was classic. So many things came to mind... But how did you hear about that incident? Were you there? Did you have Duchess bugged or something? Wait, was that the time we were all cramming for different subjects in the same room? As I recall, very little studying actually got done...at least for me and Duchess...The ever so stalwart and true Benvolio somehow always managed to get studying done even with tough distractions like us. Does it still work that way, or does your Nintendo 64 gently becon from the living room?

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger erin said...

He was there. I wasn't bugged. And he still got his studying done, despite everything.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home