Friday, January 21, 2005

Taking it back

There is very little in this world that I love more than running. I love The Redhead more, which is a good thing, since I doubt she’d enjoy sitting at home all day while I went running for hours on end, and I know she wouldn’t enjoy running with me that much. But I do love running very much. I really enjoyed those mornings when the sun was coming up across the lake as I ran around the reservoir and the dew on the grass made my ankles wet. I liked to put in 10 miles in before most people were awake. I loved those cool summer mornings with fog drifting across the lake when I’d surprise a blue heron or a bald eagle and they’d lift off and scare the bejeebers out of me. What I liked even more about that time was how in shape I was. I used to say that the run didn’t really begin until after the tenth mile. I was serious, too—I ran between 12 and 16 miles every day of the week except Sunday all summer long, and then did cross country and track during the school year. I never realized it, but I was in great shape. I used to come home from running and turn the sink on full blast and gulp the cold water straight from the faucet. Then I’d have a ¼ gallon of ice cream for breakfast. It probably wasn’t what the FDA recommends, but I thought it was a great way to live.

It’s pretty ironic that something I like so much was basically taken from me. My senior year in high school I developed a chronic hamstring injury that I’ve never entirely been able to overcome. I did physical therapy with those rubber bands, heat pads, ice packs, stretching, anti-inflamatories, and even ultrasound that was supposed to help break down the calcium deposits. The therapy helped, but the problem came back. I took two full years off of running during my mission and I still can’t run like I used to. If I had one wish I might choose to be able to run again. I miss it that badly. But it’s not going to happen. I used to be jealous when Balthazar would go running and stuff and I couldn’t keep up with him. If I did, I’d just be really sore and tight the next day and I couldn’t run again for weeks.

For a long time I gave up running. Unfortunately, along with it I gave up all semblance of physical fitness. So starting this semester I’ve started taking it back. I’m back to running a couple times a week and I’m loving it. The key is to not let myself run too long. Each morning I get up and start running and about ten minutes into the run I feel great. I find my rhythm and my stride and I want to go for hours. But I make myself stop and slow down. I’m more at a waddling penguin pace than a 5-minute mile pace, but I’m willing to make that sacrifice to keep running. Well, maybe it’s really jogging, but the important thing is that I’m back doing something I like. Just in slow motion.

4 Comments:

At 11:05 AM, Blogger Christie C said...

I'm glad you're back to doing something you love so much. I had no idea you were such a runner. I've never run more than 5 miles in my life so I'm quite impressed at your former 12-16 mile runs.

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Trueblat said...

Man, can I ever relate, in more ways then one. I've got terrible shin splints that prevent me from running too much. I have pulled ten miles before. That's nice that you're able to get into it again.

I was thinking about writing up my shoulder woes which will be a problem the rest of my life. But now that my mom reads my blogs, she'd get way too worried reading it. But yeah, 40 dislocations, surgery, lost a job over it, can't play some sports. I feel you're pain. I almost dislocated my good shoulder playing volleyball last night.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Last summer when my marathon training came apruptly to a halt because of an injury, I was scared of never being able to run again. I just finished a ten-mile run this morning and felt wonderful the whole time, and got really excited about beginning marathon training again, but my hip still causes me grief and I don't know that my injury every fully healed. I absolutely love running, and the idea that a chronic injury might limit my capabilities for good is a frightening thought. So I'm sorry you had to give up running as much as you once did, because I can understand how hard that would be. But I'm also glad you're running again - what a great way to start the day!

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Benvolio said...

When I found out you were training for a marathon when I first met you, I was quite jealous. It's always been a long-term goal for me, but it's not going to happen anytime soon. But I think it will some day, especially if I can ease back into running. Fortunately for me, if I'm careful and slow I can run as long as I want once I'm in shape. So one of these days I'll do a full marathon; it'll just take me 4 hours to finish.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home