Sunday, January 30, 2005

Experts

We went to the Men's Volleyball game last night. It was a big matchup, with BYU (No. 3) playing UCLA (No. 1). We beat them the night before, but they apparently learned from the experience because they swept us rather handily in three games. Actually, rather than give the Bruins the credit for our loss, it would be more accurate to say that we gave it to them with numerous penalty calls and a whole lot of wide shots. Victor Batista alone had three or four lifting calls, and the whole team just wasn't playing together nicely. But they were still really fun to watch. I only wish I could jump that high. And since the shortest guy in the team is still taller than me, I can’t criticize them too much. I sure wouldn’t do any better.

But that didn’t stop a lot of the people around me from voicing their “expert” opinions. What is it about sports fans that makes them feel omniscient as soon as they step into a sports arena? Instantly they have a better view and better basis of expertise than any official or referee on the floor. It’s almost like when people start writing for the 100 Hour Board, and then they feel so high and mighty. . . oh, that’s me. Actually, I think every new writer has that initial thrill of being on the Board, of being "omniscient." Suddenly the world is at your fingertips! You are the expert on anything you can research! People look up to you, they depend on you for accurate information, prudent advice, and a quick wit. New writers usually come out of the blocks with a vengeance, answering more questions per capita than they will for the rest of their tenure as Board writers. Actually, I think the older writers that have been around the block a few times need this new blood, because it reminds them how cool it is to be a writer. It would be easy to take it for granted without the new writer zeal that accompanies every new addition to the Board. I confess that over the last year I have truly taken the Board for granted. I never realized how much I depend on it until it wasn't there. And all too soon I will have to surrender my writer status when I graduate and move on to bigger and better things. That will be a sad day. But in the meantime, I still get to be the wiseguy and the expert at everything. And praises be to the 100 Hour Board muses, tomorrow we are back online!

1 Comments:

At 6:42 PM, Blogger Trueblat said...

You know, some things could probably be said about those who first start asking questions on the board as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home